Saturday, December 1, 2012

Bucket List - Places Yet To Go


Now that I'm headed toward the autumn of my life, I thought I'd create a bucket list. It could change from time to time, but for now, this is it. 

Aurora Borealis

When I was was a child, one cold, frosty, winter night, my mother and I were looking up at the sky when I saw these strange swirling lights of color. I was amazed when she told me that it was the Aurora Borealis, or the Northern Lights  She told me we were very lucky to see them because they usually didn't come down so far south into the US (we were in New Jersey at the time). It was a magical night. One that I will never forget. I  hope to see them again. 







Glacier National Park

Back in  the 1980's, I took a winter train trip across the northern part of the United States.  We passed by Glacier National Park and all I could do was look out the window.  Next time, I want to be there. 






Grand Teton National Park

Every time I see a program on this park, it makes me want to go there.  I had a second hand t-shirt I wore for years that came from the park and I wondered how its original owner felt there.






Denali National Park

Always wanted to go to Alaska, but never got there.  I'm sure it's a wild place.





Grand Canyon

I've driven across the US a number of times, and have always been in too much of a hurry to stop and see the canyon  The closest I've been to it is 50 miles. I'd also like to take the mule trip down to the bottom.



Costa Rica

Just the thought of all those birds I'd get to see if I went there, makes me long to go.  I'd like to spend at least a week going on bird watching tours. 





Stonehenge

The circle has always been mystical, spiritual, and mysterious.  Although I've watched many programs on Stonehenge, I really don't want to know who actually built it.  I like the mystery. 






Ravens and the Tower of London

Even though we're Americans, English history is very familiar to us. The Tower of London has ravens. The belief is that if the ravens ever leave the tower, the British Empire will fall. So just to make sure that doesn't happen, they clip the wings of the birds. 





Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park

I lived in Felton, California for many years.  I spent many an hour, walking in this park and never got tired of it. Its beauty is a rare thing. Within the park is the redwood loop that is by far, one of the most incredible paths I've ever set foot on. When I want to go to my happy place, that's where I go, and hug one of the old growth trees. 








Yellowstone National Park

Even though I'd have to be subjected to crowds of people, I think it would be worth seeing this place.  It is the oldest national park in the US.  


Canadian Rail Trip

All I had to see is one TV program to convince me that a train trip across Canada would be great. 



Camping Trip on Horses in Colorado During the Warmer Months

I'd like to go on one of those pampered trips where you get gourmet meals and soft bedding at night, by the campfire, after riding horses all day.  Believe me, I don't like camping, but in this case, it would be nice to sleep outdoors. I bet the stars would be awesome. 


1 comment:

  1. When I visited you in Felton, you took me to the Redwood park. It's one of the most beautiful spots I've ever been to. The trees are on a scale all their own, while the walking paths, twists and turns, and loops are scaled for us mere humans! Thanks that mini-adventure -- one of my life highlights!

    ReplyDelete