Friday, July 13, 2012


Old Age

I’m 64, and I have never been ashamed of my age. I always tell it up front. In our society, no one over 30 tells their age because they’re afraid they will be considered old.  I’m here to tell you how annoying this is.  It’s true, that in the autumn years of everyone’s lives, our bodies begin to visibly deteriorate, but it can also be the best time of your life and there’s no reason to be ashamed of that!  I’m a baby boomer who has decided that I’m going to live my entire life fully, and in order to be able to do that, I walk every day and go to the gym 3 times a week. I have the bones of a young adult.  As a result, I consider myself a vibrant human being, and I know it shows on the outside – even through all these wrinkles.  I have found that people of all ages are attracted to vibrant individuals, whether they be young or old.  It’s in our genes. As long as you move towards life instead of away from it, you can expect to live your life fully.  This doesn’t mean that you’ll be trouble free, and heaven knows I’ve made some pretty bad decisions in my life, but the vibrancy affords you the opportunity to make the best of things and move on.

Now that I’m retired, it no longer matters what time it is.  I don’t have to be anywhere I don’t want to be.  If today’s plans fall through, it’s OK.  There’s always tomorrow and I still have no schedule.  I finally have enough time to explore all the things I always wanted to.  What can I say except this is so liberating!  Gone is the stress I carried for so many years.  I don’t have a lot of money, but that’s OK too.  I have peace of mind.  So if you’re old, and reading this essay, make the most out of your age. Life goes by too quickly and the moments are too precious to waste them on things you don’t have. Proudly tell people how old you are and that you’ve earned each and every line in your face, and it’s been an amazing life, and there’s no reason to be ashamed of your age.

No comments:

Post a Comment