Friday, July 6, 2012


 


Miss Johnnie Ward

Some people can live in a small town for years, and never know their neighbors, much less someone who lives on the other side of town.  Since I walk through Raymond every morning, making sure I walk at least two and a half miles a day for my well being, I have come to know a number of people on my routes.  One of those special people I talk to is Miss Johnnie Ward.  She’s 84, still smokes cigarettes, and drives her little white car at breakneck speed, everywhere she goes.  She’s fearless and outspoken.  She doesn’t care what anyone thinks, and it’s alway fun to hear her talk about other people in town.  She has a wicked sense of humor and from time to time, she’ll tell a good joke.  She’s a Baptist, but played piano (for money) at the Catholic church up until last year.  At 84, bad notes creep in, and after a time, even the Catholics noticed.  Although for the life of me, on Sunday, when I walked by the church, the singers weren’t so good either.  They’re even worse now!  I do love the sound of their church bell though, and their building is an historic one, built in the 1880’s.  But I digress. Miss Johnnie lost her husband, Cecil, twenty years ago. and she still morns his passing, not understanding why she was left behind.  When she talks about him, I see her eyes light up.  She must have loved him very much. 

So I stop from time to time, as I pass her house, and we sit in the front porch chairs, given to her by her daughter, and discuss our town called Raymond.   

1 comment:

  1. " ... after a time, even the Catholics noticed." Your vignettes are wonderful! That's a line I wish I'd written. Looking forward to more from Raymond.

    ReplyDelete