Tuesday, July 3, 2012



Mr. Charlie’s Flowers

I first met Mr. Charlie and his wife at an annual Christmas party at Mary Lou Lott’s house.  Mr. Charlie was in his mid 70’s, and it was obvious that he was slowing down with age, showing that slow, tired sigh as he sat down.  It was about that time when he told his customers that he was having heart trouble and was announcing his retirement from mowing lawns.  My neighbor, whose lawn he had cut for the past 17 years, was unhappy about it, and it became even more evident when Mr. Charlie’s successor proved to be far less in touch with the zen of lawn care.  As a result, she took to being angry with him and wouldn’t even say hello when we passed him on our morning walks as he was working on the Baptist church flower beds.  You should know, that Mr. Charlie has magic in his hands.  Whatever he touches, responds with amazing growth and vitality. I have never seen such flowers in all my life. The Zinnias that he planted in the church beds this year seem to jump up and cheer with sheer joy as you pass by. I watched him the day he planted them.  Down on his knees in his bib overalls, he labored with love, intently, all day long. I worried if it was too much for him. So this morning, I went down to the church and took photos.  After looking at them, I realized why my neighbor was so unhappy about.  The magic he gave to her yard was no longer there.  And now, she was left with just plain old ordinary grass to get used to.  Her lawn will never be the same. 

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Charlie and Mrs. Sarah are are very special people. They spread love wherever they go. We are very blessed to have them as friends as well as a part of our church family.

    ReplyDelete