Thursday, May 2, 2013

Moments in Nature

The other day I was standing by my fern garden, when a tiny, but fully formed, little Chickadee flew down beside me and bounced onto the grass. I leaned over and gently picked him up. I was amazed how tiny the baby was. I could see one of his parents in a nearby tree, watching me. I told the parent not to worry. I found a small branch on the tree and set the baby up there.


                                         Ah, the Azaleas in Raymond were beautiful this year.



                                                   How intense in color is this Azalea hedge!

The next day, I went next door to visit Mr. Bearden, who is in his 90’s. We met in the drive-way, and after talking to him for a little while, I heard this frantic peeping outside his back door. I investigated and shortly after that, found a Brown Thrasher baby trapped in the garbage can.  He couldn’t quite fly well enough to escape. I reached down into the can and cupped my hands around the baby.  He squawked, and the next thing I knew, Mama was trying to peck me on the head, and flapping in my face. I quickly let go of the baby, and he hopped into the brush with his mother not far behind. Good save.




                  Mr. Charlie has magic in his hands. These are his pansies outside the Baptist church.



 Last year, I thought I dug up all the Sun Drops and Flox in the front yard.  I was wrong. There are two big stands of them, growing out of the grass.I had no idea just how prolific they are.With all the rain we've been getting, they sure took off. Guess I'll move them after they finish blooming.



      My neighbor, Elaine, planted a melee of Daffodil bulbs this year. This is one that was extra special.




                                                       We know that we are in the way,
                                                        But walk around us anyway.
                                                        Please enjoy our delicate bloom,
                                                        As you go around and give us room.

A few years ago, these Evening Primrose came up on the steps nearest the road. I couldn't pull them up, so I made up a sign instead. Each year they reward me with their delicate faces. 




 Last Saturday, Elaine and I went on the Raymond Pilgrimage. We saw three of the historic houses on the tour, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Lots of history, southern hospitality, and beautiful antiques. When we got to the Shelton House, there in the front yard was the largest Magnolia tree I have ever seen. It was magnificent. It turned me right back into a tree huger and I haven't felt that way since I left the Redwoods out in California. 




No comments:

Post a Comment