Wednesday, January 16, 2013





The Robins

Every year, since I moved to  Raymond, the robins come in the middle of January and eat every last berry off of the Carolina Cherry Laurels we have in the back yard. They start from the top of the trees, and work their way down to the lower outer branches. By the time they reach the lower branches, they resort to flopping around a great deal, and it’s rather comic to watch. The branches are not strong enough to hold their weight, but that does not deter them. Never mind that there are two cats on the back steps, very near the trees. Each has his own space I suppose. There have never been any casualties. 

In the meantime, the holly tree in our yard, with its red berries, will give up its fruit to the Cedar Waxwings. I’m still waiting for them to arrive, and they should be here soon. If I’m lucky, I’ll hear their high pitched calls. 





No comments:

Post a Comment