Friday, January 11, 2013

Adventures with Elaine or You Are There (remember that old TV show?)

Ever since I moved back to the south, Elaine and I have be shopping companions, going to thrift stores all over the area, grocery stores, and everything’s a dollar stores. Since both of us are retired, this is a way to entertain ourselves on very little money. Looking through other people’s junk, in particular, has become a sport for us. We never know what’s around the next isle, or what we’ll encounter at a yard sale. I suppose this would be considered rather boring to most readers, but there’s a catch, and I’m beginning to wonder. 

Elaine and I were driving along I 220 about a year ago, when we were almost blown off the road by two cars that were weaving in and out of traffic going at least 85 mph. As I corrected, after being cut off by one of the cars, I made the comment to Elaine that they were very dangerous and could cause an accident. The next thing we knew, cars exploded in front of us with debris going everywhere. I slammed on breaks and then moved onto the median so I wouldn’t be hit from behind. The highway went to a stand still, backing up traffic, with lots of screeching breaks. It seems that Old Jobie Martin had entered the interstate, going the wrong way, and hit the speeding cars head on. If our car had been just a little closer, we would have been toast.

                                                                  RIP Jobie Martin
 




About six months ago, Elaine and I were turning onto I 55, from Lakeland Drive, during a thunderstorm. As we started down the ramp, this huge bolt of lightning struck the highway, directly in front of us. It was so intense that it just stunned us. We were both in shock. It took about 30 seconds to recover before driving on. And that quick, in a flash, it was over (couldn’t resist the flash part). 






The day before yesterday, we were driving down to Pearl to our favorite thrift store. We had just started going under the bridge on Highway 80, under the stack, when we were suddenly surrounded by police with weapons drawn, and with blue lights blazing, more and more officers appearing by the second. There must have been at least 30 of them. I kept looking for one of the cops to direct traffic, or at least stop it, but no one did. We didn’t know what to do, and slowed down, trying to figure out just what to do. All of a sudden one of the cops yelled, “ get the hell out of the way, “ and that’s just what did. I hit the gas, and took off, fleeing from the scene. It wasn’t until later, when we watched the 5PM news, that we found out that there had been shots fired on the stack, a sniper suspected. And to top it all off, it was a false alarm. I’m tellin’ ya Martha, if it isn’t one thing, it’s another. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment