Saturday, January 30, 2016


Well, it has been a few day after DoWe DontWe flew to birdy heaven. She was ceremoniously buried under the great oak, which is also known as Bird Boot Hill. All her relatives are buried there. Matty McScrew Loose, Slim Dusty, and Governor Huey P. Long. Her sister, Louisiana (better known as Wheezy) died in California before we made the great migration south.

Now I have one parakeet left, and his name is Lavender Larry. Larry is an English Parakeet and although he’s beautiful, there isn’t much going on upstairs in Larry’s mind. I took Larry out of the big cage and gave him a smaller one and then moved him into my bedroom so he would have company. At first I thought he might be mourning DoWe, because he wouldn’t eat or drink. I tried everything I could think of, but after two days, I was getting desperate. As a last resort, I put him back in the big cage, and suddenly he came to life. I then realized that he recognized his feed cup. The cup I had in the smaller cage went uneaten because Larry didn’t view it as food. He also took a big drink of water out of the water dispenser. I know now that I will never be able to change his feed and water containers. And it looks like he’ll have that big cage all to himself. The best part of the story is – he started singing again. I actually think he doesn’t miss DoWe at all. In fact, he’s delighted and kissing the bird in the mirror. Who’d have thought...

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear of DeWe DontWe's passing. She must have been very "up there" in bird years, yes? You gave her a good life and a gentle death. Once couldn't ask for more. We had to say good-bye to our aging Lucy (blue heeler cattle dog) a while back, so your loss reverberates. And,coincidentally, Jake, our border (line) collie, mourned his buddy's passing not at all. Hugs! Miss you!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete