Saturday, July 4, 2015

Nature’s Bounty

Went by the community garden on my walk this morning and found the mayor picking tomatoes and purple hull peas. She gave me a batch of peas and I hulled them when I got home. It’s been a while since I did this, so the peas popped out of the pods, jumped the side of the bowl and landed on the floor.  It took a while to perfect my technique and now I know why they are named purple hull peas because my fingers are now purple. I plan on cooking them tonight with some chicken stock, half a slice of bacon, salt & pepper. They will go good over rice. 

At the same time, the tomatoes came in and I’m overwhelmed. Yesterday, I spent the afternoon cooking spaghetti sauce. Well, actually I should call it chicken zucchini spaghetti sauce. I used up half the tomatoes and was able to get 6 dinners out of it, which I then put in the freezer. Tomorrow, I plan on doing the same with the tomatoes below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment