Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The Raymond Community Garden

Earlier this year, I tried my hand at growing 30 tomato plants in the community garden. I planted them in May, after raising the seedlings to where I could transplant them to the garden. Alas, I planted them too close together. I guess I didn’t realize just how large they would become in such a short amount of time. Back then, they looked so weak and lonely that I tried to group them together. As a result, there were tomatoes, but mass confusion ruled. I’ll know better next time. 

This fall, I tried my hand at greens, and it is a bonanza! The seeds jumped out of the ground after 4 days and have been growing and flourishing ever since. I planted Turnip Greens, Mustard, Collards, Kale, and Rape. I couldn’t be more pleased. Mother Nature has rewarded me for my efforts. Greens are a staple here in the south. Most everyone knows how to cook up a mess of greens, and they are so nutritious! Some years ago, when I was living in California, I cooked a pot of greens and my guests thought they were lawn clippings. Whoops! Wrong culture! When I returned to Mississippi, that was the first thing I looked for in the grocery store. Now the community and my friends can share in the bounty this winter. And they’re organic!

No comments:

Post a Comment