Saturday, October 20, 2012






The Yankees are Coming!

This morning, when I passed the courthouse on my morning walk, there was a Yankee on the lawn. Just standing there. Somehow, it just didn’t seem right. Now that it’s past 10 in the morning, The Battle of Raymond is being reenacted, as I write this journal entry. The cannons are booming with deep percussive voices, and the windows are rattling in my old house. Some of the more powerful booms have stopped me in my tracks, and I found myself wondering how frightening it must have been, during the war, to hear those ominous rumblings of terrible things to come - the wolf at your front door.

 I think, though, reenactments are a man thing.There is something genetic that fires men to do battle Women are negotiators and less likely to resort to war. Perhaps if there was a better balance in power in our government (mainly more women), there wouldn’t be so many wars.   

No comments:

Post a Comment