Friday, September 7, 2012

                                                
                                     While searching the web for images of women with umbrellas,
                                     I found this one by Henri Rousseau, one of my favorite artists. 
                                               

                                    This is the way I'd like to have the town's people think of me.

Umbrellas

When I moved back to Mississippi after 30 years, I had forgotten how cruel Mr. Sun can be in these parts.  Although the sky was very blue, and the sun nice and shiny in California, it was never of the magnitude it is here. I had quite a good hat selection upon arrival, but I soon found out that wearing a hat in the blazing hot sun not only gives you hat head, it also becomes increasing annoying as the sweat runs down your cheeks (not to mention that it makes your head twice as hot). So, one day, as I was going out the door for my daily walk, I picked up the umbrella. My walking partner looked a little leery of my idea, but much to my delight, there was a noticeable difference in temperature and comfort. After a few times around the town, someone politely asked me if I thought it was raining. The next time, someone drove slowly by me and whispered, “it’s not raining,” in a sing-songy voice. And of course, the next question, did I expect rain. Since I do have a sense of humor about myself, I laughed the first few times. Being I’m almost an OP (9 months and counting), I’ve decided to let the town think I’m just eccentric. Please see the above picture. 

When I first started walking, I was known as the “woman who walks.” Not many women were walking in Raymond back then. The name took me back to where I had grown up. There was a woman, called “The Walker,”  who walked from town to town, day after day, years ago, and my mother told me that she was crazy, and that’s why she walked so many miles.  I considered this, and then made the comment that she looked to be in pretty good shape  “What an odd thing to say,” my mother commented. And then I remembered -"The Walker" had also carried an umbrella. Pause.  Ah well, I guess I’ll carry on the tradition. 
                               

No comments:

Post a Comment