Monday, September 17, 2012


Spicy Orange Ginger Beef on Rice

Some time ago, my husband and I were gifted half a cow. When our 220 pounds arrived, we stashed it in our new freezer.  The beef came from a grass fed cow, which means it’s mighty tasty, but a bit on the tough side. I have been challenged to invent ways to prepare it, and below is my favorite solution so far.  

Cook rice and set aside. I like the California Brown Basmati Rice, but if you must, white rice will do. 

Take a raw sirloin steak and cut it up into thin slices. Place it in a bowl and add chopped up fresh ginger, the zest of an orange, and Tamari Sauce (soy sauce will do too). Add some red pepper flakes to make it even spicier. Mix well and let it marinate for an hour in the refrigerator. 

Cook the marinated meat in a wok over medium high flame (yes, I have a new gas stove). When the beef is cooked to your liking, add half a cup of chicken stock with corn starch mixed in. The juice will thicken.  If it’s too thick, add a little more chicken stock. Spoon over a bed of rice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment