Saturday, February 2, 2013


 Cheerios

Although I don’t go out of my way to promote food products, especially processed foods, I have to admit that Cheerios has been part of my life since the very beginning of time. As a baby, when my mother needed to do do something that involved her total attention, she would sprinkle Cheerios on the floor and sit me in the middle of them. While she was doing whatever needed to get done, I would methodically pick up each and every Cheerio and eat them until they were all gone. However many Cheerios she gave me, determined how much time she had to finish her task. 


                                                      Picking them up takes concentration.


                                                        Only a few Cheerios left!


                                                               Cheerios Bliss...


As a young child, I discovered that if I licked one Cheerio, I was able to stick it to another. This led to tall stacks of the crunchy stuff. Then I discovered that I could string them and make a necklace or bracelet. I know you’re not supposed to play with your food, but this was too much fun not to. I was a very picky eater, and my mother was grateful that I liked anything. I was one of those children who would put the peas or string beans in my pocket or under the ledge of the table so I didn’t have to eat them. 

The years went by and to my horror, General Mills changed the consistency of Cheerios (or changed the recipe). I believe they did this twice. Each time, when I opened the new box, I could tell right away that it was different. This upset me greatly, and I called to complain each time. There is no reason to change a recipe or product if it is making money. I don’t want new, improved Cheerios or crunchier ones. I want the old ones! 

So when I saw the back of the most recent box, it compelled me to write this essay. As a matter of fact, I think I’ll call them up and remind them not to try and fix something that isn’t broken!  As the most interesting man in the world says:





No comments:

Post a Comment